Friday, February 5, 2016

Four Things on a Friday

Oh, but I have some goodies for you! I’ve been collecting them for some time, but one came in this week that made me decide I simply had to post. So, without further ado, here are four things you need to know this Friday.

Ever wonder about those words in old Westerns? What’s the difference between caboose and calaboose? If someone claims you’re in a feeze, is that a compliment or an insult? Wonder no further! Check out the online dictionary of Western slang. You might see some of these terms working their way into Nineteen Teen, because they’re simply too much fun!

Like to sew? Want to stitch up some period outfits? See what you can find among collection of free historical costume patterns, ranging from medieval to early twentieth century, and coats to underthings. I’m wondering about new Regency gown for a trip this summer. We’ll see! 

I’ve known for some time about the lady Regency dress up doll online (and been known to spend far too much time playing with outfits). But I was delighted to learn this week that the same artist, the wonderful Sarah Vaughn, has a gentleman dress up doll as well. You will never get to your chores again. Be warned.

Finally, I’m sure I wasn’t the only one mourning when the world lost the wonderful Alan Rickman a few weeks ago. Mr. Rickman was famous in recent years for portraying Severus Snape in the Harry Potter films, but he will always be dear to my heart as Colonel Brandon from the 1995 version of Sense and Sensibilities (not to mention from Galaxy Quest). Here’s a short film with him in another Regency role, along with some faces well-known for period acting. I would wager than had a great time doing this. Enjoy!


No comments: