Friday, July 12, 2019

Dead Letters and Live Authors

Back in February 2013, I wrote a post that included information about the Dead Letter Office. Little did I know that I was one day to read a fabulous book about a heroine who works in that office. Please come back next week to hear more about Rachel Thomas and her new book, Yours Truly, Thomas. In the meantime, here’s a little more about England’s Dead Letter Office.

During the Regency period, letters were paid for by the recipient, as we’ve mentioned, so sometimes a recipient simply refused to accept the letter. There are stories about plain girls refusing valentines that insulted them, women refusing letters from their sisters because they could tell by the writing on the outside that all was well. Then too, someone might refuse a letter if it was clearly not theirs.

Those letters ended up in the Dead Letter Office. Post Office employees would try to determine the rightful owner and see the letter on its way.

But in the early nineteenth century in England, Post Office employees were allowed to open and read your mail under other circumstances too:

  • Perhaps you were suspected of being a traitor to England (“Dear Napoleon—I love you! Please come visit soon. I'll leave the candle burning.”).
  • Perhaps you were rumored to be evading Customs (“Dear Aunt Charlotte, that case of French lace is safely stored in the cave under Peasbury Chapel. Do avoid the Excise men when going to fetch it, and give my thanks for the rector for allowing the use of the premises.”)
  • Perhaps you were involved in a robbery (“Dear Susan, I am delighted to relate that I was able to make away with that diamond ring you always wanted. Her ladyship only protested a little when I pulled it off her finger.”).
  • If you were in jail for bankruptcy, the Post Office even sent all your mail to the solicitor in charge of prosecuting the case!

I think if the Post Office was monitoring my mail today, the employees might get an inkling as to what I do for a living, what with author copies, contracts, and business cards coming in. And all those lovely reference books. 😊

Looking forward to visiting with Rachel Fordham next week! I hope you are too.

2 comments:

QNPoohBear said...

How interesting! I've heard of families in the American West knowing all was OK with their family from the outside of the letter but not in Regency England. I wonder what the post office thought of Jane Austen's correspondence and whether they ever read any of the letters that Cassandra later burned?!

BTW- I really enjoyed Never Doubt a Duke. I hope to read the rest of the series this winter when I have time to binge read. I may not be able to wait that long for Never Borrow a Baronet. I like the sound of Harry!

Regina Scott said...

Now, there's a plot, QNPoohBear--the UK Dead Letter Office is decades (centuries?) behind and finally comes up with a set of letters Jane Austen wrote. What would we discover???

Very glad to hear you enjoyed Never Doubt a Duke. I hope you get to Baronet. Harry is one of my favorite heroes, but I have a soft spot for rogues. :-)