Tuesday, April 16, 2013

It’s Time to Play Name that Novella

All right, Nineteenteen readers. It’s time to help an Authoress in distress.

This summer, I plan to self-publish a novella for all the readers of Bewitching Season who’ve asked for a story for Charles, a.k.a. Chuckles, Persy and Pen’s younger brother. I am delighted to finally oblige you, and am working on having the story edited and proof-read and a cover designed and all the things that must be done to ensure a quality product. But one thing is holding me back, and that’s where you come in.

I need a title.

I’ll confess here and now that I’m terrible at book titles—simply terrible. And you have been so good at coming up with wonderful ones when Regina and I have asked for your help…so I’m here today to ask you to help find a name for Charles’s story.

Here’s a blurb:

Sixteen-year-old Charles Leland is not looking forward to his summer holidays from Eton—not when he has to spend them studying history to make up for a less-than-stellar grade last term. Not even the thought of spending them with Persy and Lochinvar while his parents are in Ireland visiting Pen can cheer him up.

But as it turns out, cramming history takes a back seat to finding out what has happened to Persy, who disappears from home the day he arrives. All signs indicate that she’s been abducted by gypsies…but a gypsy boy named Nando convinces Charles that her disappearance has a much more otherworldly explanation.

Now Charles must brave the perils and sheer strangeness of the fairy lands to try to rescue his sister from being forcibly married to a powerful fairy lord, with the help of the fairy lord’s own younger and very insistent sister, a copy of History and Policy of the Norman and Angevin Kings that he must read before September, and Queen Victoria. But will he also be able to rescue himself?

There you have it, dear Nineteenteen readers. Can you help me come up with a title for Charles’s story? You’ve done it before…can you do it again?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bechancing Season
Becharming Season
Bedabbling Season
Bedeviling Season
Befriending Season
Beguiling Season
Beknighted Season
Bewildering Season

Anonymous said...

Just a few thoughts:

Perilous Holiday
Magicked Summer
History and Harm's Way

Titles are hard, aren't they? They're always wrong until they're just right. Good luck! :)

Lena Goldfinch said...

Popping in to say congrats on the new novella adventure. The story sounds Amazing.

I'm not that excellent at coming up with titles myself, but I will say I really like A Perilous Holiday!

Marissa Doyle said...

Titles are hard. They're always wrong until they're just right.

Oh, isn't that the truth! Thank you for the suggestions!! And thanks, Lena--I'm pretty excited to be trying this out.

Anonymous said...

When and where will the novella be available? Please say Nook and not just Kindle...

Marissa Doyle said...

I'm aiming for early August, to coincide with the paperback release of Courtship and Curses. And it will definitely be available from multiple sellers, Nook and Smashwords and Kindle. :)

Anonymous said...

No hardcopy?

Marissa Doyle said...

No plans for one at this time, Anonymous--this is a novella, not a full-length novel.

Unknown said...

I think you already picked a book title but I just have to say HOW DID I MISS THIS!!! I was hoping and hoping for a Charles book and I'm thrilled you will be self publishing one! I just can't wait!

Marissa Doyle said...

Thank you, Unknown! I'm very happy Charles will have his story too. :)