Friday, October 26, 2018

The Beauty of Wedgwood, Now Mine


I have a lengthy bucket list of places I want to see, many of them in England. I have a much smaller bucket list of things I long to own, including a period-correct (a good reproduction would do) quizzing glass, a stereograph of the Grand Canyon taken before 1900, and a piece of Wedgwood. I have looked for the first and last many times but was always turned away by either the price or the poor quality. Imagine my surprise, then, to discover at the back of an antique mall in the cozy little town of Kalama, the stuff that dreams are made of.

I have blogged about my obsession with Wedgwood before. I had no illusions that I could afford a piece dating from the nineteenth century. But it wasn’t so much the age of the piece but the classical rendering that was important to me. It had to be the famed Wedgewood blue, with white embossing, the color and shape so reminiscent of the Regency period I love.

So, without further ado, here she is:


You can see I got my wish—blue and white, classical pattern--cherubs embracing. I have researched the maker’s marks on the back and can safely say while mine is genuine Wedgwood, it isn’t an antique. It proudly sports a registered trademark symbol, which wasn’t used until 1974.

But I still love it. One down. Two to go. 😊

3 comments:

Regina Scott said...

Thanks, Lynn! As you can tell, I'm pretty pleased with it. :-)

QNPoohBear said...

It's gorgeous and 1972 is at least vintage. Wait another decade and it WILL be an antique... just not a 19th-century one! Congratulations on crossing that off your bucket list.

Regina Scott said...

Thanks, QNPoohBear. I guess if 1972 is vintage, I must be too. :-)