Friday, May 21, 2010

It Pays to Do Your Research!

Marissa originally started this blog (and invited me to join her) to share the cool things we discovered while doing research for our books. As of last week, the reverse also provide true: the research I did for this blog ended up selling a book!

You may remember my “ball at the beach” series last summer. I originally intended writing a post on Brighton, but then I realized I should probably include Lyme Regis. I didn’t know all that much about the latter, so I did some – you guessed it – research! And that led me to Scarborough. You can find the original post on the fair town here.

Suffice it to say, I fell in love with Scarborough! The red-tiled houses hugging the shore, the sweep of golden sand, the church with its choir of orphans, the elegant assembly rooms, the warmth of the people, the sharp tang of the spa waters—I could go on and on! (And I think I just did.)

So, when I was offered the opportunity to try to become one of the first Steeple Hill authors of Regency-set romances, I decided to take a chance and set the story not in London or Bath or Brighton as is usually done, but in my beloved Scarborough.

I am very pleased to announce--drum roll please!—that I have agreed to a 2-book deal with Steeple Hill’s Love Inspired Historical line. The first book, set in Scarborough in 1811, will be out in June 2011 (appropriate, eh?). We’re working on a title for it as well as a concept for the second book. My editor is delighted, and I am over the moon!

All because of a love of research and a desire to share it with others. May your efforts prove similarly rewarding!

10 comments:

MBirn said...

I am THRILLED there will be a new Regina Scott novel. Scarborough sounds magical. I can't wait to read it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! And I love the mock cover!

Marissa Doyle said...

Told you it was awesome news!!!

QNPoohBear said...

Sounds like fun! I love well-researched novels. It makes them much more fun, in my opinion. Congratulations!

Shirley Marks said...

Wonderful news, Regina!

I can hardly wait for the new book--and then a second one!!!

Congratulations

Gillian Layne said...

How absolutely wonderful! I love the SH LI historical line. And the stories all have the most gorgeous covers. Congratulations!

Regina Scott said...

Thanks, all! As you can probably tell, I'm pretty psyched. Now I have a deadline of September 1, so it's back to writing!

Rachel said...

WOW! Congrats! I was at my local library this morning and picked up one of the books in the Love Inspired Historical line. I've never read their books before!

Can't wait to see your book in 2011! It definitely does pay to do your research ;)

Have a good weekend!

Tricia Tighe said...

Congrats, Regina! That's awesome. How fun that Steeple Hill is doing the Regency. :D Happy writing!

Dara said...

Yay!

That's how I've found all of my story ideas: researching one thing and then getting an idea for another. That was especially the case for my Yuki-onna novel; was researching legends in old Japan and found that one and fell in love with it :)