Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mystery Object Contest #5: What is it?

It’s been a while since we’ve done a mystery object...so here you are!
Today’s mystery object is made of metal. It measures five and a half inches long and two and three-quarters inches at its widest. It is marked Sheffield (silver plate) on its underside, and has the manufacturer’s mark P&B on the underside of the handle.

So…what is it?

If you think you know, post your guess in the comments section. If you know you know, post your answer also…but please, don’t post links to pictures to prove that you know. That tends to bring the guessing to a screeching halt, which isn’t much fun for anyone. All correct guesses will be entered in a drawing to receive (ta da!) an autographed review copy of my upcoming YA historical (and prequel to Bewitching Season and Betraying Season) , Courtship and Curses, due out from Henry Holt Books for Young Readers in August!

I’ll accept guesses through next Monday evening and post the answer—and the name of the winner—on Tuesday. If no one guesses correctly, I’ll draw a winner from among all the commenters, so go for it!*

Have fun!

*Alas, due to prohibitive postage costs, I will ship only to US and Canadian addresses. I'm sorry!

18 comments:

Lana said...

My guess is that it is for warming sealing wax over a candle until it melts and can be poured on the envelope to seal it. I have absolutely no idea what one might call such a contraption. But that would be my guess :)

Anonymous said...

sOMETHNG WITH TEA?? I HAVE NO IDEA!!!

El said...

Maybe a medicine dispenser like a personal laudanum spoon :)

Nandini said...

I think it may be an invalid feeder and/or medicine spoon. Cool artifact!

janewrites said...

Looks like a spoon for feeding someone who is "unwell" or can't feed themselves. Or for pouring medicine into the ear? I want one just so people ask what it is!

ettie said...

I think its something where you heat the bottom over a candle and then pour the product out the spout- maybe a medicine.

And Will you post to NZ if i pay the postage :)
If not thats cool :D

Cyndi said...

Total shot in the dark,...egg yolk/white separator? Whatever it is, it's very cool looking!

Jennifer said...

Um, an old-fashioned version of a Neti Pot? Often used during a time before antihistamines?

The Valdez Quintuplets said...

A tea strainer?

AnneB said...

Is it a pap spoon for feeding infants and invalids?

Rachel said...

It's an invalid spoon/feeder. I've seen some that actually have a covered handle.

Thanks for hosting another contest! Our bookstores don't carry any of Ms. Doyle's books :*(

Anonymous said...

I'm guessing an earwax remover/oil dispenser -- something to do with clearing out an ear ;)

Penguin said...

Without reading the other comments yet, I guess a baby feeder. Or an ear medicine dispenser.

QNPoohBear said...

I have no guesses at all. I have never seen anything like that at all. I just want to say Hi to the Valdez Quints! from QNPoohBear

helen said...

it's called an invalid spoon.

LilMissMolly said...

Something used to pour medicine into an ear?

I really liked the sealing wax guess though. I hadn't thought of that one!

Ash Lee said...

I've been looking through a whole bunch of antique silverware online, and the best I can come up with after looking at all those pictures is that it's a ladle of some sort. Maybe a punch ladle?

mary sullivan said...

Marissa, does this have anything to do with ear candling--using warm wax to get ear wax out of ears? Just a weird guess. What a great little object.