Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My Fantasy Library

Some people fantasize about dream vacations. Others fantasize about jewelry or cars or sports teams. Me? I fantasize about the library I would love to have. It would look something like this—a room I was privileged to visit daily while in college— and I think I’d furnish it with the help of our friend Rupert Ackermann.

First, I’ll need many of these Gothic Bookcases (Ackermann’s Repository, 1827) lining the room to hold my books. The glass doors will help keep dust at bay...but I’ll cheat and put UV-filtering glass in to further protect my treasures (which will, of course, include a complete collection of first editions of all of Georgette Heyer’s books):


To reach the top shelves, a few Metamorphic Library Chairs might be handy: the seat and top hinge over forward, creating a handy ladder to scurry up while searching for the right book (July 1811):

Then again, I could also store some of my books (I think there will have to be a complete set of Dorothy Sayers’s Lord Peter Wimsey books as well) in this delightful Circular Moveable Bookcase (March 1810):


I’ll definitely need a comfy place to sit and read...like maybe in this Gothic Sofa (December 1825):

Or one of these Gothic Chairs, looking very throne-like but probably not very comfortable (November 1825):


Reading isn’t the only thing I’ll do in my fantasy library...I’ll be writing, of course! Maybe at one of these Cabinet Globe Writing Tables--how much fun are these?! (February 1810):


Or at this slightly more conventional writing table (January 1810):


Though this Secretaire Bookcase (September 1822) is also pretty awesome, as well as having room to store more books:


How about you? Do you have a room of your own you like to dream about? What would you furnish it with?

9 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

I love that chair that turns into a ladder- how cool! I dream of a huge rectangular room w/white built in bookcases and a window seat(fell in love w/them when I was a girl) w/a large desk and a cute loveseat and chairs around a coffee table, for when book club(another fantasy!) would meet.

Marissa Doyle said...

That sounds lovely, Leandra. I'm in love with window seats too!

Rachel said...

Fantastic!!! You also need some lovely earthly and celestial globes like the british museum has in their enlightenment room!

I want that circular bookcase!

If you ever get your dream library, you must (at least once) sing the opening song from beauty and the beast while wheeling around on gliding ladder!!!

Marissa Doyle said...

I know, Rachel--that circular bookcase is just so much fun! But don't make me sing in public...it isn't pretty. :)

Helena said...

A library like this is exactly the room which I have always dreamed about, too! I also fancy one of those floor to ceiling ladders which slide along. Oh, and a gallery to hold even more bookshelves and reading nooks.

Camy Tang said...

I love your library! My dream library would have lots of scrolly stairs like this:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/207024914090553370/

And a crystal chandelier in the ceiling might be nice, too. :)

Regina Scott said...

Oh, Camy, love it! My own personal favorite is the Suzzallo Library at the University of Washington: https://www.lib.washington.edu/suzzallo/visit/about

Marissa Doyle said...

Hmm, I think I've hit a nerve here...we all cherish a secret library lust!! ;)

Camy Tang said...

Nice, Regina!