Friday, February 15, 2019

Dissecting a Valentine

Sounds rather macabre the day after the holiday devoted to love, doesn’t it? But I was recently reminded that I have a wonderful late nineteenth century/early twentieth century Valentine courtesy of the great-great aunt who left me her postcard collection, and I wanted to share.


Here it is in all its glory:



A few things to note:

  • It’s built in layers of paper. Each layer isn’t as thick as card stock, but definitely thicker than typical stationery. They are mounted on accordion hinges of the same sort of stock. Alas, everything is pretty flat after nearly a hundred years in a photo album, but you can see where this was once a rather impressive three-dimensional anthem to love.
  • The pieces surrounding the center cherub are made from different materials. The red ribbon is silk, the white a kind of cross-grain fabric. The gilding appears to have been hand-applied. And some of the white lace is fabric bric-a-brac.
  • Nothing on the back or front indicates who created it or where.
  • Inside is a lovely poem promising life-long devotion, but no signature. I don’t know whether my great-great aunt received it from someone she loved or bought it and never sent it. Oh, the story possibilities!


All in all, it’s about 11 inches tall and 8 inches wide, and I don’t think the colors have faded much with time. Any lady would have been pleased to receive it. I am quite delighted my great-great aunt thought to leave it for me.

And now you! Happy belated Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

QNPoohBear said...

I love Victorian Valentines! I just showed 10 year old niece how to make one. I have a Victorian Valentine making kit from Pleasant Company (now American Girl) from when I was young tween bluestocking. I still had a lace doily, some scrap and ribbon for her to design her own Valentine. The paper cut outs with cherubs and pictures are called scrap. One could buy pages of scrap or cut the pictures out of women's magazines. This is where the word scrapbook comes from. (according to the booklet that came with my kit). I think this is a lost art form. Your great-great aunt would be so pleased you are showing off the hard work of someone special.

Regina Scott said...

How wonderful that you could share that with your niece, QNPoohBear! It is definitely a lost art form. I had no idea that was where the idea of scrapbooking came from. How cool! Thanks for sharing!