Friday, June 5, 2020

Picnic Plethora


Summer is coming, and the days are calling for barbecues, grilling over the fire, and picnics. Eating out of doors was done in the early nineteenth century as well, but not always the way we might picture it.

As I was researching for this post, I ran across a number of excellent blogs, where my sister authors and other lovers of history had already covered picnics wonderfully well. So, I thought I’d share.

Maria Grace, Austen Variations, shares the origin of picnics, how they were treated in the Regency period, and even a menu.

Thither Jane Austen, a site for costuming and resources related to Jane Austen and her work offers another great set of recipes, and the pictures are to die for. I want to be on that hillside, right now!

The Jane Austen Centre in Bath describes details from the picnic scene in Emma.

Hampshire Cultural Trust has a lovely Jane Austen-inspired picnic pack you can download.

A few years ago Houghton Lodge Gardens, also in Hampshire, hosted a Regency picnic. Though the event is over, the pictures are delightful.

Okay, now I really must go find a blanket and a shady spot and dream of England.

No comments: